Conference Agenda: October 29, 2012
9:00 Opening Remarks by Chairperson
9:15 Keynote: Understanding the Impact of Recent Law Changes on
- Take this opportunity to consult with judges about Judge Rader’s New Model Order and its impact on litigation
- Learn exactly what is expected under similar default standards
- Receive advice on how to avoid sanctions
Chief Judge James Donald Smith
Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences
The United States Patent and Trademark Office
10.00 The Key Challenges and Opportunities Facing Pharmaceutical Companies
- How pharmaceutical data analytics can assist in the mitigation of Medicaid Fraud.
- The implications of data analytics on patent portfolio management.
- The hidden benefit of patent litigation cost containment derived from information governance related initiatives.
10:45 Morning Networking and Refreshment Break
11:15 Discussing the Unique E-Discovery Considerations When Managing Global Operations
- Navigating and managing E-discovery when you have parent companies based overseas or foreign affiliates
- Considerations of privacy and data protection laws in other countries
- Prepare your litigation team for same
Mary R. Pawelek
Bowman & Brooke LLP
Hoffmann-La Roche Inc
12:15 Lunch and Networking Break
1:15 Utilizing Generally Accepted Recordkeeping Principles to Develop a Good E-Discovery Strategy
Legal Discovery Specialist
2:00 Ensuring Information Protection in the Electronic
In today’s age of Electronic Communication and “always connected” life
style the ability to properly protect, monitor and disseminate information
being transferred becomes more difficult. To this end finding new
innovative processes and solutions to ensure proper protection and
distribution of information is paramount.
- Identify websites for potential risk.
- Learn strategies for strengthening policy to ensure proper protection of all E-Communication.
- Learn techniques for assessing and auditing E-Communication initiatives
- Identifying concerns in Mobile Computing
- Understanding the roles of the Legal, IT, and Records Management departments in the process
Joseph M. Mariano
Records System Analyst
2:45 Afternoon Networking & Refreshment Break
3:30 Litigating Patent Cases Under Judge Rader’s New Model Order
- Understand the rationale behind Judge Rader’s Model Order
- Discuss the pros and cons of the model order and similar default standards
- Analyze the future of patent litigation in light of the new model order
Brian W. Nolan
Alexander H. Plache
Senior Intellectual Property Counsel